Friday, March 02, 2007

Ranting on the Perils of NCLB

Talk about left hand and right hand not knowing what they are doing. Three years ago I had to fill out a survey questionairre to determine if I was "highly qualified" in the subject that I teach. One week after filling it out and sending it in I was told I had not sent it and I had to do it again. This time I walked it downtown and was shuttled from one board office to another until finally I got to the one lady who was keeping the questionairres to find out: "Oh, I have the other questionairre I just haven't processed it because Technology teachers can't be "highly qualified" in Kansas. There are no state standards in Technology." Apparently that is a requirement before you can be highly qualified.
Now three years later, my principal gets a memo that I have "failed to fill out the paperwork to be "highly qualified" and I must attend a mandatory meeting at 7:15 downtown to be shown how to complete the paperwork correctly. Meanwhile the state still has no standards and most of the other teachers on the "Corrective Non-compliance List" are in the same boat I am. They are the other Technology teachers.
What is the deal? Do these administrators not understand why "highly qualified" can't be reached? Why do they react like we are slime trying to crawl under the radar?(I was offended by the tone of the memo) Nothing has changed or my subject coordinator would have been all over it having us fill out the paperwork. (He's great about doing that stuff). I'm going to have to write up lesson plans for 1st hour (there is no way the meeting will get done and I'll be back before class starts)and fill out a bunch of paperwork that will end up being put on a shelf because it can't be processed because the state doesnt' have standards for the area I teach. If these administrators don't know this when they are "in charge" of this matter then why are they in charge?
I know I'm raging against the machine, but It's been an exhausting week and next week is even more of the same. I just hosted my school's chess tournament, (which went very well because I had wonderful help). Special ed and ESOL started testing this week for the KSCA's (state level tests) using my room during my planning period. Next week the rest of the school starts the KSCA's and I'm teaching technology in a regular classroom while they use my lab for testing. I'm dealing with it! But this memo is a flashpoint moment. I don't need some administrator acting like I haven't done my job and setting up a meeting to tell me to do it right when its already been done and it's all for nothing because there are no standards to be highly qualified in! (more raving)

No comments: