Monday, September 24, 2007

What I don't really understand is why I can act as a technology bridge for programs on a desktop computer (even if its new to me), but when it comes to handhelds they frustrate me to no end. I've used desktop computers for twentyfive years since the district first got Apples for the classroom. I've always had no problems working with new programs and figuring out how to do things. This is my fourth year with a Palm handheld and I still can't figure out how to do things on the Palm. The operating systems don't seem that different, but I just can't get it to do the things I need to do.
I don't know if its because of my technophobia of cell phones, well not technophobia really, just a hatred of phones in general. I have always looked at the telephone as an evil invasive machine and cell phones just magnify the opportunities for people to contact you anywhere, anytime (one of the reasons I hate phones). I will not own a cell phone. My dislike and discomfort for cell phones could be transferring to handhelds, but none of the reasons I hate phones are used on my handheld. I just don't seem to be able to navigate around handhelds and I can't figure out why.
I wouldn't think the fact its a different operating system would be a problem. I've started with Apple DOS to Windows 3.0 and 3.1. Changed to MacIntosh OS 6-9 and Windows 95. Messed with Windows NT and now we use XP with a few new machines on Vista (no Macs in the building for the last three years) Always been able to figure out the system in a couple of hours. I have spent weeks of effort trying to figure out my Palms and get no where. I can use it like a Gameboy and that's about as far as it gets.
Frustration City.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It would seem to me that the Palm OS should be transparent to the user and perhaps that's how Palm designers created it.

Being literate myself in MS-DOS, Apple SOS and Windows, plus being a user of the Palm Pilot for many years, I've not had the need to explore beyond what it helps me to do beyond being a calendar and address book.

A 67 yr old alum of PV, now living in northern California.